R P Herrold wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Jan wrote:

However - what I think most of us would like is a simple service that gives us the FULL dependency list, not just the first level. A list like that can of only be generated if you already have all the necessary libraries - the developer(s) of the given RPM should do this.

I would like to win the lottery, as well -- but in the real world ...

... if the packager or builder of a given RPM did this, you
would either (1) be prevented from incrementally adding
software using shared libraries; or (2) required to install
hugely bloated static linked applications which each carry
local copies of the the same libraries around, or (3) suffer
the 'dll hell' which --nodeps and --force can put a Linux
system in, with conflicting libraries and reminiscent of the
problems over on the Windows 9x side of computing.

Perhaps - but if one you what the developer had based the RPM on, then you would have a reasonable change to evaluate the situation BEFORE downloading a couple of 10MB RPMs that unfortunately don't install because of missing dependencies. I have been in that situation too often. It's no fun having spent perhaps a couple of hours of modem time only to find that it was wasted; we aren't all on broadband, at least not outside US.

/jan