I have a client that would like his linux system to allow a user to try 3 times to
login and if
they keep making mistakes (or are trying to hack a password), disable that user until
the
root re-enables them.

Has anyone see an option like this?

I know how I could mod the login to do this, but normally it would not be
desirable...   This guy is paranoid and a paying customer...:)

I personally would put in a delay that doubled with every mistake...
Starts at 1 sec, then 2, 4, 8, 16, 32... after a while even the most
ardent hacker will give up...:)  but that was not acceptable...

Best regards.

Tony Preston
Cancer is Curable, Ask me why!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]