On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> OK,
>
> My rpm update question of the day...
>
> I have a CUPS installation working very well.  A few days ago RH
> released a new CUPS errata rpm.  When listing the available updates for
> my machine the up2date shows the cups-devel and the cups-libs 1.1.14 as
> available and ready but the cups-1.1.14 has been marked as "skipped" by
> up2date and the reason given is "Config modified."
>
> Obviously, it doesn't want to blow my current configuration away but
> this is pretty non-informative!  Is there any way to determine which
> configuration files will get blown away if I choose to install this
> thing?

Do you remember which ones you modified?  rpm --verify will tell you about
any files that are not identical to the ones distributed with the
installed RPM.

> Anyone have an idea why this package doesn't work like so many others
> and just identify new configuration file with the *.rpmnew naming
> convention and allow me to spend a few quiet hours trying to figure out
> what to merge between old and new?

Use the --force, Mike.  Back up the changed configurations and override
up2dates decision not to update.  BTW, the skip list policies are outlined
in the man page for up2date.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences