ok, here's another question to which i don't know
the answer -- where does the first partition (/dev/hda1)
really start?

  i ask since, on my host, fdisk tells me that /dev/hda
has 255 heads, 63 sectors, 5836 cylinders (obviously bogus
values), but it further says that

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

or that cylinders represent 8M, which seems to match
nicely with the subsequent partition sizes.

  but since fdisk also shows that my /dev/hda1 partition
starts at cylinder 1, not 0, does that mean it skips an
entire "cylinder" from the beginning of the disk?

  if so, then you haven't really toasted /dev/hda1.
but i'm not sure if this is what these values are
telling me.

  anyone else have an opinion?

rday