Thanks for the kick in the pants.

PCI card would be nice, but I have two problems.  The first problem is I
have not yet found out how to get the slot to work with out locking up the
computer during boot (It was suggested I make a change to GRUB, I have not
had a chance to try this yet).  The second is I have not found a card and
all quotes was about three times the cost of the cable.

The kick helped me find the right driver for getting the cable.  When I
looked at /var/log/messages, there was an entry showing /dev/ttyUSB0.
When I set-up minicom to use this after having the cable connected and
connected to the serial device, it worked!

Thanks Edward, I should have though of this.

david