On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 17:26, Brian Lucas wrote:

> Howdy!
>
> I recently plugged an optical Microsoft USB Intellimouse into my Redhat 8.0
> laptop and it works like a charm right out of the gate.  Kudzu detected it
> as well at the next boot and I configured it and again it worked great.
> Then, I unplugged the mouse while the laptop was down, booted it back up,
> and Kudzu informed me that I could remove the configuration for the USB
> Mouse, ignore the fact that it was missing, and something else that I don't
> recall offhand.  In my haste, I told it to save the settings and ignore the
> fact that it wasn't there.  Mistake.
>
> The touch pad that normally worked now no longer does.  I didn't test the
> touchpad functionality while the USB Mouse wsa in so I'm not sure at what
> point it became disabled.  I did an ls -l /dev/mouse and noticed that it was
> linked to input/mouse.  I looked around to see if I could find a way to
> reactivate the touchpad and uninstall the USB mouse but am probably missing
> something.  I decided to remove /dev/mouse, reboot, and go into text mode.
>
> I relink'd /dev/mouse with
>
> ln psaux /dev/mouse
>
> The touchpad began working again but in a strange way.  It jumped around a
> lot and never settled down the way I'd like.  My suspicion is that I've
> linked it to the wrong device.  I ran redhat-config-mouse and set it back to
> the Intellimouse so I am back at square one with the touchpad disabled.
>
> Any thoughts on how to uninstall a USB Mouse once Kudzu has set it up and it
> has been told to ignore it when it detects that it's not there rather than
> prompt to uninstall it?

I believe that removing the reference to the mouse in
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf and rerunning kudzu will do it.  Yes you can
simply run kudzu from the command line.  Both actions will need to be
done as root of course.

If you find out how to get both to be active, let me know.  I added the
usb pointer to XF86Config-4 once and all was good until I went home and
booted without the USB mouse.  That is after telling kudzu to ingore it
of course. X freaked that it could not find a pointer that was supposed
to be there IIRC.

Since then I have been configuring the thing every time I boot in a
different configuration and it relly pisses me off.

Bret