I am experiencing a similar issue. I have a crontab job setup to run a
simple script that when it is complete is supposed to append two items,
on one line, to a logfile.

        The script is simple, it is supposed to echo a line of text (using the
 -n option) and also use "date" to append a time/date stamp to the file.

        When I manually run the script, it works perfectly. It does its task and
it also appends both pieces into the logfile. When ran through crontab,
only the timestamp is appended to the file.

        To me, it seems like a rather bizarre behaviour.

        Is this problem a bug in the crontab package that shipped with Red Hat
7.2? I haven't seen anything detailing this anywhere else.

        Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Robert Adkins II
IT Manager/Buyer