I have an HP LaserJet 1200 at home and have been very happy with it.
Toner is about $65, but I have yet to replace it. Last 2500 pages.

Also have a LaserJet 2200D (Duplex built in) at work (RH 7.2 server
pushes jobs out to a 98 box that has the printer attached to it. Ugly,
yes. Works, yes.)

Both have built is PostScript 2 Emulation.

1200 goes for $400 (or less)
2200D goes for $800 (or less)

Patrick