Before you do that, take a good hard look at Mandrake 9.1b2. It will show you the direction that Mandrake is going. If you have a test box, load that up.

I'm not saying anything about whether it's good, or bad. Just warning you to take a look.
I'm actually converting the other way, from Mandrake, back to Redhat.

Although, I will miss urpmi. Great tool! It saves you from "Dependancy Hell".

Ric

Alexander Skwar wrote:
Hello.

I'm thinking about converting to Red Hat from Mandrake.  One extremely
useful tool in Mandrake, was "urpmi" which is somewhat like apt-get from
Debian (or apt-rpm from .  Both tools allow easy installation of RPMs.
So, if I wanted to install proftpd, I'd type:

    urpmi proftpd

urpmi would then download and install proftpd and any dependencies. In
case all (or some) of the packages are on the install CDs, urpmi would
prompt to insert the correct CD and install from there.

Another nifty feature of the urpmi tools is urpmf.  Suppose I wanted to
know, which package contains /usr/include/time.h, I'd type:

    [askwar@teich .procmail]$ urpmf /usr/include/time.h
    glibc-devel:/usr/include/time.h

Or suppose, I wanted to know, which package provides the virtual
capability "zlib-devel", I'd type:

    [askwar@teich .procmail]$ urpmq zlib-devel
    zlib1-devel

This would tell me, that the package zlib1-devel needs to be installed
for this capability.  This of course also works for not installed
packages (as long as they are listed in the urpmi databases, of course).

What's the equivalent in RedHat to these tools?  It would be very nice,
if this tool doesn't require a X gui; ie. command line tools are
preferred.  If it requires a GUI, then so be it.

Thanks a lot,

Alexander Skwar