From: Red Hat
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 7:07 AM
Subject: RH 8.0 not using NIS for /etc/aliases

I cannot for the life of me get Red Hat 8.0 to use NIS for alias resolution. Our master NIS server is Solaris 8. The aliases are defined there and work from all solaris clients. When I try to send mail to an alias on the RH8.0 machine, it says user unknown.

Here is the aliases definition on the NIS master:
weblogic_team:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Here is /etc/nsswitch.conf on the RH 8.0 client:

aliases: files nis

I rebuilt the aliases database on the RH 8.0 client (/usr/lib/sendmail -bi) I am not sure if this is necessary (it is not on the solaris clients)

I have restarted ypbind several times. ypbind is working, I can su to users only defined in NIS.

Is anyone using NIS for alias resolution?

Thanks,
CC

Chuck Carson
Sr. Systems Engineer
Syrrx, Inc.
10410 Science Center Drive
San Diego, CA 92121
Work: 858.731.3540
Cell: 858.442.1791

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.