Hello everyone,

I have a small programming question here, which I'm not sure if it's
possible to do or not, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
What I need is for the following to return with the appropriate exit status
value ( $? ).

---- Start Code ----
 tar -cvzf $dev $dir 2>>$backup_error_report | while read line
 do
  ...(conditions here)...
 done
 retval="$?"
---- End Code ----

Because I'm piping the 'tar' output to 'read', no exit status value is
returned. Is there any way I could still get tar's return value doing it
this way?.... If that makes any sense to anyone.

Thanks.
Kevin Green
KD Micro Software
MP 107, Market City