On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 17:06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> A lot of people seem to have RPM woes, but I couldn't find this exact problem in
> the last couple of month's archive, so apologies if it has already been answered.
>
> Recently I was trying to update the glibc packages on a redhat8 machine to the
> rawhide versions, when, after apparently completing the install (using -h, so I
> could see the progress), RPM hung. I left it for about 30mins before killing the
> process just to make sure, but 0 CPU usage, no disk activity etc seemed pretty
> conclusive. Only, it seems RPM hadn't finished, and I now have both glibc-2.2.93
> and glibc-2.3.1 installed (or at least the RPM database believes so).
>
> The problem is that I can no longer perform *any* rpm operation, it always
> returns with the error:
>
> "cannot handle file 'libc.so.6' with TLS data"
>
> Now, I have no idea what TLS means in this context, but doing an rpm -qf on
> /lib/libc.so.6 claims that both versions of glibc own the file, which seems
> wrong. I've tried removing the __db files from /var/lib/rpm and rebuilding the
> db, but to no avail (it produces no errors, and verify_db similarly is ok). At
> the moment my only option looks like a complete reinstall, since I can't up- or
> down-grade anything.
>
> Does anyone here have any suggestions as to whether this is fixable, and if so
> how it might be done?
>
> Help greatly appreciated
>
> Ben

I did something similar.  What I was able to do:
        If you load the 2.4.19 or 2.4.18 kernel, rpm will work.
        If you load the 2.4.20 kernel, you get the error message.
Load the old kernel, then update rpm from rawhide to version 4.2.0.
This will allow you to run rpm under the new 2.4.20 kernel.
--
Wayne
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]