Hello,

        I have been running one Red Hat Linux system as our main server for
about a month now, before it was simply acting as our Squid-proxy server,
until the Win NT 4.0 server took a crash. At that point, I quickly
implemented Samba and set it to act as our PDC.

        Now that we are out of hot water there, and I have the system being
backed up properly. I have had the time to rebuild the old server. It
turned out that when it was build (before I was working here) the
"technician" over-clocked the processor, which is why it eventually
failed.

        Currently, the bad parts have been replaced and the server is running
quite nicely. What I need to do now is set it up so that if the current
main server were to fail, all I would need to do is fire up a few
services, move a configuration file or two into place and have it fully
take over for the current main server.

        So far, I have read that OpenLDAP would be able to take care of a great
deal of that work, in regards to User accounts, group accounts and such.
I have also considered using Rsync, although I am also thinking about
moving some of the file-sharing capabilities off of the main server, to
balance off some of the load in our network.

        Does anyone have some suggestions as to how to go about doing that sort
of thing? I want things to be as automated as possible. There simply
isn't enough time in my day to be constantly checking things for
problems.

        Thanks for the assistance.

Regards,
Robert Adkins II