On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 08:33:03AM -0500, Jeff Bearer wrote:
> I want to copy a file from host A to host B while on host C. Host C uses
> public key auth to login to A and B.
>
> But when I try this:
> hostC #> scp hostA:/tmp/file hostB:/tmp/file
>
> I get this:
> Host key verification failed.
> lost connection
>
> But If I do this:
> hostC #> scp hostA:/tmp/file ./; scp ./file hostB:/tmp/file
>
> It works.  Can somebody clue me in to what's the problem?

The other poster pointed you in the right direction - scp used in the
method you suggest actually opens up a connection from A to B.  I can
see why you might want to to save bandwidth, but if A can't directly
talk to B (firewalled, for example), then there's no way to do this
without doing the intermediate copy that you tried.

We sniffed the packets here to see what it does to prove that A really
does try to talk to B.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA