Kewl, thanks.  I'd never noticed it before, but that makes perfect
sense.

- -Tom

- -----Original Message-----
From: Gary Stainburn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 10:54 AM
To: Burke, Thomas G.; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Apache SIGHUP's - WHY?

On Thursday 23 Jan 2003 3:25 pm, Burke, Thomas G. wrote:
> Hey gang,
>
>       I've been noticing this in my logs off & on, & it seems odd to me.
> Can anyone explain?
>
>       -Tom
>
> [Wed Jan 22 04:02:03 2003] [notice] SIGHUP received.  Attempting to
> restart
> [Wed Jan 22 04:02:03 2003] [notice] Apache/1.3.27 (Unix)
> (Red-Hat/Linux) configured -- resuming normal operations
        > [Wed Jan 22 04:02:03 2003] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem
(Default:
> sysvsem)

Hi Tom,

You'll probably find that you've got a logrotate job in your crontab.
 This is
a nice tidy way of keeping your log files tidy.

What this does is scrolls down your logfiles, e.g. .3 becomes .4, .2
to .3, .1
to .2 and your current logfile becomes .1.  It then creates a new
empty log.

However, Apache has an open file handle that is still pointing to the
old
logfile.  Sending a HUP to Apache tells it to do a gracefull restart
which
amongst other things makes it close/reopen the log file.

HTH

Gary

- --
Gary Stainburn

and undisclosed purposes - Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act,
2000

- --