> I'm about to move from a vlb based 100mhz 486 to a cyrix pci system, and a
> new video card (a matrox millinium II). Everything else will stay the say

You might have to do some kernel tweaking for the Cyrix -- at least that's
the feeling I get, but I don't have direct knowledge of it (I use anj
Intel here).

Apart from redoing those xfree config files, there is going to be little else
you'll need to do. You may want to recompile the kernel as a Pentium,
though, for a little extra oomph.

> directores like i486-libaout and such, which makes me wonder. I really
> don't want to re-install (I don't have near the time, and I really can't
> bring my system down that long). Oh yes, I'm running redhat 5.

Those directories are for a.out (i.e., old) libraries and binary support. The
i486-part really has no bearing on whether or not the target processor is
_really_ a 486.