On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 10:46, Mike Burger wrote:
> Copy the /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group files to tne new system.
>
> tar up /home and /var/spool/mail on the old system and untar them on the
> new system...voila!

I have hesitated to do that from previous upgrades (6.x to 7.x) since
many of the services run under their own users and they did not exist in
the older system /etc/passwd.  If that is not a issue then you should be
good to go.

Where does the current and new mail systems store user mail?  if it is
kept in ~/mbox then you will need a home dir. if it is in /var/spool you
should be able to copy the files across once the new users are in the
system ( so the ownerships will be correct depending on what is used to
copy them)  I would probably tar up the old , scp the tar file to the
new system  and then untar it.

I have used a webmin tool as part of user/group management that will
create users from a batch file that is very similar to /etc/shadow.
passwords are passed encrypted and as a result the users never knew I
had changed the machine.  Definitely worth looking into for 3000 users.
seems like the last time I used it it did not do the groups though.  Are
these regular redhat users with their own primary groups.

HTH

Bret