Hello!

So here's an odd one this is driving me absolutely batcrap:

I ran into some issues with Metacity, so rejiggered things to use Sawfish 2.0 as distributed with RH 8. No biggie.

To make a long story short, if I launch a gnome-terminal with ANY sawfish defined hotkey, I cannot use CTRL-C to break things in that terminal window. For instance, while testing, I set CTRL-Alt-X to open a gnome-terminal, cd to /, and type: ls -lR

That will start a very long directory listing that will fly by for quite some time. Hit CTRL-C and it won't break. You cannot stop it short of closing the gnome-terminal or ps'ing the ls PID and sending a kill.

Now, if I launch a gnome-terminal from an icon on the panel (or in the Redhat menu) - I'm fine. Perform the same sequence as above and it works just fine - CTRL-C breaks things as per normal.

I don't have this problem with an xterm or other terms - just the stinking gnome-terminal as packaged with RH8. I compiled a slightly newer version of gnome-terminal from source but my compiled versions never appear to understand the font environment in RH8 and I can't get the nice aliased fonts. <sigh> That's another issue altogether... not gonna ponder it right now.

So - anyway - this makes absolutely no sense to me. To make it a little stranger, I assume the gnome-terminal stuff must be somewhat reentrant when when one is already running because if I launch one from an icon (not a hotkey) and then open a second one with the hotkey, the second one will accept the CTRL-C breaks just fine. If I launch one from the hotkey and then a second one from the icon, even the icon-launched one will not send breaks properly. Whichever method you use to open the first gnome-terminal will dictate the bahavior until you've closed them all.

Does anybody have ANY idea why little bugaboo is causing this to happen?

On a second note - what the heck is the origin of Sawfish-2.0 in RH8? I can find no trace of a Sawfish-2.0 existing outside of RH8 - only Sawfish 1.2-gtk2.

- Aaron

--
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware. :)
PGP Public Key - http://sparhawk.sbc.edu/amahler.pgp