Relevent Config Info:
Red Hat 8.0 up to patch level.
Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard
Running 2.4.21pre4 (copied the athlon config from the Red Hat kernel
source to .config and ran make oldconfig to configure - I need a newer
kernel than Red Hat's 2.4.18 or even 2.4.20 because I have an nforce2
chipset and the IDE performance is suctacular due to lack of a driver
for the nforce IDE controller - and I needed to patch the 3com driver
for the onboard 3com nic)

I recently did a couple updates to my system:

1) edited /etc/fstab to mount /var/run and /tmp as a tmpfs volume:
none                    /var/run                tmpfs   defaults 0 0
none                    /tmp                    tmpfs   defaults 0 0

2) installed nVidia drivers for my GeForce4 (compiled on my system)

I *believe* my problem didn't start after step 1 but started after step
2
When attempting to startx I would get an error - and this would be
logged in /var/log/secure :

Jan 31 01:09:52 mpetershomenetwork pam_console[968]: Could not open lock
file /var/run/console/mpeters, disallowing console access

I put a band-aid on the problem by adding this to /etc/rc.local :

if [ ! -d /var/run/console ]; then
        /bin/mkdir /var/run/console
fi

I would like to know, though, what the REAL problem is - just in case
there are other issues I need to fix as well.

Thanks for any help.
Please cc me on any response

--
Michael A. Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>