My brother is about to order a dell server with RedHat installed. He has
a choice of 7.3 and 8.0.  I have not used 8.0 primarily because I am not
one of those cutting edge kind of guys and I have avoided x.0 versions
of RHL since 5.0 kicked my ass so hard it still has a bruise. That was
really early in my Linux use though.  I am assuming that Dell would not
sell it with 8.0 pre-installed if there were stability problems. My
brother pointed out that that come with windows so that may not be a
valid argument :)

Does anyone have experience with RHL preloaded dell servers on either
version?  It is the Professional version with all the docs and media.

How good is dell RHL support if there is such a thing.

He is looking at two channel raid controller, 3-36 GB scsi disks 512 RAM
and 2 GHz xeon single processor to start.  I believe the server he is
looking at is SMP capable but only has one processor to begin with.

He is in a time crunch and the box is going to be installed as a samba
file/print server on an existing NT domain since all his brand new XP
desktops are not playing nice with NT 4.0 servers and smokes on the test
samba box we installed last night. I told him if he did not hear from me
to get the 8.0 install.

Any tips appreciated

Bret