Okay, on a clients server I needed to make a change to the sendmail.cf. So I
made the changes to sendmail.mc like a good boy and m4 sendmail.mc >
sendmail.cf. The server wouldn't listen on the external port so I went into
sendmail.mc and commented out the appropriate line like so:
# dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')
Then I m4'd the mc ot cf again. This didn't work. The server still wouldn't
listen externally. I checked sendmail.cf and it appears that the line that mc
should have changed didn't.

The line reading:
O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA

...should read:
# O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA

Why would m4 fail?

<<JAV>>