On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 09:53:03AM -0900, Andy wrote:

> I just installed 7.3 as a simple samba file server for backing
> up an NT server on a nightly basis.
>
> It is behind a firewall and it will only be a file server.
> It may do email and web serving in the future.
> I do login via ssh now and then to check on things.
>
> Should I run up2date?  Is it a good idea?

I firmly believe it's still a good idea.  Some of the updates fix
security holes which could bite you in the future with e-mail and web
hosting.  Other fixes fix major bugs and possibly things like file
corruption.  Since you don't know for sure what the bugs, your choices
are either to check each patch to see if it applies to you, or simply go
ahead and update yourself regularly.

I do an up2date -l regulary to see what's new, and then follow that up
with an up2date -u to do the updates.  For kernel updates, I pick and
choose which to apply.  If I'm in the mood to reboot, I might apply the
update, or I might apply the update and not reboot until later.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]