On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 15:55, Molnar Peter wrote:

> > > This is what I am asking about, how to do it.
> > >
> > > To be exact, I have an 80G disk partitioned like so: hda1 70G vfat,
> > > hda4 extended partition: hda5 9.6G ext3, hda6 400M swap.
> > > Now I successfully shrunk hda1 to 65G, resized the extended partition to
> > > the maximum size (now around 15 G), and I want to create another Linux
> > > partition, but I dont know what I have to do, when the number of the
> > > root partition changes.
> > >
> > > That is why I tried to move the free space from the beginning of the
> > > extended partition to the end of at least the ext3 partition, so the
> > > number doesnt change in the case of the root partition of my system.
> > >

> > What boot loader?  Grub or lilo?
> >
> Lilo

Then the file you need to edit is /etc/lilo.conf and if the number
changes, you will need to modify the root=/dev/hda5 line.  I am guessing
from your description of the partitioning that it reads hda5.

I am not sure what will happen to the partition numbers.  I know the
order on the disk is not necessarily numerically represented in the hda?
numbers.  Seems like on my compaq servers the compaq system partition is
built first at hda3 even though there is nothing else there at the time.

I would try to create an additional primary partition in say hda2 with
the extra space and mount it wherever it is needed.  This is probably
one of those cases where LVM would really shine.

As always make sure you have backups on important data when dinking with
the file system like this and a boot/rescue disk too, so you can get
back in to fix something that might get hosed in the configuration.

Bret