On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Matthew Simpson wrote:

> rm /boot/System.map.2.4.18-31 ? Do I need to somehow rebuild it? Or does
> it get re genrated at startup?

Well, yes and no. The System.map is a file containing the kernel symbol
table for the currently running kernel. If you updated your kernel, but
not the map, you're bound to get errors of some sort from programs which
don't use the /proc filesystem for symbol lookups instead of the on-disk
map file.

You *should* be able to boot without a map file, but if not, you may have
to manually copy the correct System.map to the boot directory. You can
find the System.map at the top of the tree where your main kernel Makefile
is after the kernel is built.

--
"Of course I'm in shape! Round's a shape, isn't it?"