We have been unable to achieve tape interchage between various linux servers, or between linux and unix servers.

On several different linux machines, Compaq RedHat 7.3, Dell RedHat 7.3 and Dell RedHat 8.0, and one RS/6000 running AIX, we have 4mm 20/40gb tapes installed on scsi port 0 (/dev/st0).  We can use tar or cpio to backup and restore as much data as we like, as long as we read tapes on the same machine that wrote them.

Tapes are interchangeable between the two Dell servers, but not between the Dell and Compaq, or between the Dell servers and an RS/6000 system running AIX.  In each of these tests, we receive the following message (when reading a Compaq or RS/6000 tape on a Dell server),

cpio: read error: Input/output error

We have carefully checked block sizes and cpio syntax generally, but to no avail.  Is media compatibility between dissimilar systems achievable?

Barry J. Alexander