man rsync

it does all you want...and more

raymundo

Tom Kovalcik wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to come up with a scheme to backup completed projects off-site. What I am envisioning is this:

Engineer provides project1Rev1.tar.gz file (50 to 200MB) and places it into a directory (/home/offsitebu). At some point overnight a cron job runs scp to copy the file to my home Linux server mycomputer.d2g.com which is using DNS to go to handle the dynamic IP. The file transfer checks that the source and destination file are identical and the source file is deleted.

I have a basic enough understanding to think this is all possible, but do not know how to get around all the issues such as user authentication, how to handle stalled jobs, and how to get a checksum and how to get the information back to compare the files.

Can anyone help out with some or all of these issues?

Thanks

Tom