On 6 Apr 98, at 21:08, David E. Fox wrote:

> >  hdb1  was partitioned in a single 2Gb partition and formatted. It was
> >  also
> > permanently mounted in /etc/fstab adding the line:
> > /dev/hdb1   /apps     ext2     defaults 1 2
> >
> > In order to install Applixware on hdb1, I also gave the commands:
> >
> > mkdir -p /mnt/hdb1/apps/opt
> > rm -f /opt
> > ln -s /mnt/hdb1/apps/opt /opt
>
> It would be simpler if you just mounted /dev/hdb1 as /opt, and then just
> cp'ed all the files underneath /opt over to the new disk:
>
> # mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt
> # cd opt
> cp -R (or variant thereof) * /mnt
>
> Then remove /opt from the first disk, before remounting /dev/hdb1 on
> /opt.

I may not understand this procedure being too inexpert ( about Linux) and
would like to underline the following points:

- Applixware, which I would like to install, is on a cdrom and the routine
installation is by ./install command.

-On hda1 I have no space left to install and the  /opt directory just created is
empty, there is nothing to be copied to hdb1 ( mounted as per your
suggestion), so when I cd opt and give the suggested command
cp -R * /mnt,  I receive an understandable error message that  there is no
such * file or directory.
I also understand that the major problem here is my lack of experience :-)

Thank you for your help,

Gianmaria

Gianmaria Fontana di Sacculmino, Esq.

Embassy of India - Bratislava, Slovakia