On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 07:43, Richard Kuhns wrote:
> All machines can
> communicate just fine, except for the FreeBSD box and the laptop.  The
> maxmimum transfer speed between the 2 of them seems to be about 14K/sec,

Just to be clear:  You have one Red Hat Linux 8 machine on your desk,
and another that is a laptop.  One of these communicates with the
FreeBSD box at a normal speed, and the other at only 14K/sec.  Right?
How is the laptop connected to the rest of the machines?  If you run
  /sbin/mii-tool eth0
on the laptop, what does it return?  Perhaps it thinks the connection is
full duplex, when it is not...  That doesn't quite explain it, but
that's where I'd start looking.

> 2) When I use ssh from either RedHat machine, it always does a DNS lookup
> on the machine name.

Don't know on this one...  It seems most likely that ssh is doing some
additional work.  Are you sure the lookup is for the name of the server
you're connecting to?

Use telnet to connect to the server's ssh port and see if the machine
does a DNS lookup when the name is in /etc/hosts.  If so, then the
problem is probably in glibc.  If not, then the problem is that ssh is
doing something that you (and I) don't understand.

> 3) I've noticed that there are quite a few programs linked with the
> kerberos libraries.  I don't use kerberos now and don't expect to ever use
> it.  Is there such a thing as a RedHat distribution that doesn't include
> kerberos?

No.  Do you think that ~1.5MiB of disk space is worth the effort to
produce a distribution without it?