First the vi question:  I primarily use emacs but like
to be able to fire up vi every once in a while if I
just have a quick edit to make.  Anyway, I've recently
installed RedHat 7.3 and when I launch vi there is a
bit of a problem with the display color.  The tildes
along the left edge of the screen as well as the
default insert color of the text are a very dark blue.
 When contrasted with the black background it's nearly
impossible to read.  So, is there a way I can change
the color from this dark blue to something else
(preferably white)?

Now the emacs question:  I use emacs to edit c/c++
files.  So far I like it, but there is one small
annoyance I've run into.  It indents blocks like this:

if (true)
  {

when I want it to indent blocks like this:

if (true)
{

It's a small thing but it drives me nuts to have to
constantly backspace the brace to put it where I want
it.  Is there some change I can make to my .emacs file
to change this?  Thanks in advance for any help anyone
can offer on either issue!

-exits