On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 07:51, Chris Mason wrote:
> The machine is remote, I have no physical access and no tech help on site.

OK.  Here is the setup that I used.  If you think that it will work, we
can spend some time getting it going.

Redhat installation tree nfs mountable somewhere near on the network.

check to see that the installation tree can be mounted by the remote
machine.  I exported it to the entire subnet as read only in
/etc/exports.

copy vmlinuz  and initrd.img from the bootnet.img diskette image into
/boot on the remote machine.

modified the bootloader config (lilo.conf in my case) to boot the
installation kernel and pass the location of the kickstart file to the
kernal.

built a kickstart file for the machine.

run lilo -R ks
(ks is the name I gave to the installation stanza in lilo the -R option
tells lilo to change the default for the next boot only)

reboot the box and pray.

We upgraded over 20 machines scattered all over a building in one 6 hour
period using this method.  I ran a ksprep script on the machines to be
upgraded that actually ftp'ed the /boot files and copied a stanza into
lilo.conf.

I have a 7.3 kickstart file, lilo.stanza ksprep.sh and probably more if
we get into it to assist you in the process.

Let me know what you think.

Bret