I am running a Linux internet gateway/server at a school. (Currently RH 7.3 running ipchains firewall, apache, & sendmail. May upgrade to 8.0 in the future.) They have asked if I can set up some type logging that would record the ip of a machine requesting a web site and the web site requested. The idea is to try to find out if any of the kids are going to places they should not. The connecting boxes are mostly Win95 all getting ip addresses via dhcp from the server. Does anyone know if this can be done easily? I have found lots of info on logging traffic into the apache server, but not for logging the client traffic passing through the server. An added bonus would be if there are any black-list filters that run on the server that I could use to block known bad sites. I am trying to steer them clear of net-nanny types of filters that indiscriminately block sites based on key words.

Thanks for the help!

Tom Kovalcik
Orion Design Technologies
122 Mast Road