I have a question regarding a firewall configuration I am attemping. I am
using RH8 on a machine with 2 nics to create a packet filtering firewall
using IPTABLES. I have configured the machine so that the external nic has a
valid, internet-routable IP and the internal nic has a private IP
(192.168.*.*) so that I can use network address translation. I have set up
the rules and I can ping outside servers from the firewall (using the
external nic) and I can ping the firewall from within the private network.
Unfortunately, I have been unable thus far to get any kind of connection on
the internal network. Am I missing a vital configuration step in setting up
the 2 nics? I have the gateway of the external nic pointing at my router and
the gateway of the internal nic pointing to the external nic. I have all the
machines on the private network pointing to the internal nic on the
firewall. In all of my research I cannot find anywhere that it gives
explicit instructions on setting up the machine. Any help would be GREATLY
appreciated.

Paul Lee
Network Administrator