FWIW my diald/ppp setup was dialing out every two hours and I couldn't
figure out why.  Since it wasn't causing any problems I just left things
alone.  I then "upgraded" to bind8 and it began dialing out every 10
minutes, so it may have something to do with DNS lookups.  (Our masq box is
also a caching nameserver for our internal network.)  I have since gone back
to bind4 to see if that fixes the problems.  diald-control wasn't showing
any incoming packets causing diald to go, and it used to crash quite often &
cause diald to use 100% of the cpu time, so I stopped using it...

Ed Jaeger, CFO, Bohlender Graebener Corporation
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.bgcorp.com