I have a problem here and I am hoping someone will be able to help throw some
light on it. I recently bought a SCSI card in order to use a film scanner
with my Red Hat Linux 8.0 system. It is a Q-Tec Fast SCSI 210S card with one
internal and one external connection. I am only using the external connection
to connect to my scanner. Having plugged this into my motherboard, I started
up the PC and kudzu auto-detected the SCSI controller. I chose the "Configure
It" option and everything booted as normal. However, the subsequent time I
reboot the computer, the bootup process completely froze just before the
"Checking hardware" line.

I removed the SCSI card and booted into Linux single mode, and then
reinstalled the card. Boot up was normal, but "dmesg" did not show any
detection of the SCSI card. Everytime kudzu detects the card, I choose to "Do
Nothing" to avoid the bootup freezing. However, /etc/modules.conf does not
show any new SCSI modules, and when I try to insmod initio, it either freezes
up or I get these messages:

Using /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/scsi/initio.o
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/scsi/initio.o: unresolved symbol
scsi_register_R0ac6db10
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/scsi/initio.o: unresolved symbol
scsi_unregister_module_R81d85a75
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/scsi/initio.o: unresolved symbol
scsi_register_module_Rfa20b7b0

I'm at a loss as to what to do here. Does it look like it is not detecting the
card at all? What is a commonly found card that is known to work well with
Linux RH 8.0? I don't need any super-fast or fancy one, a cheap one is
best... just as long as it works.

Any help would be really appreciated.

JR
--