I am helping to set up a new dell server with a perc scsi controller
configured with raid 5.  There are 3 36GB disks in the thing and it
shipped with redhat 8.0.  I don't like the partitioning of the thing and
have to admit I am confused about how the raid 5 stuff is working.  The
only experience I have with SCSI Raid5 is on compaq 3000's using the
smart controllers and running RHL 6x and 7X.  The partitions look
something like /dev/ida/c0d0p1.

I understand these since the controller and I  guess the driver presents
the partitions via /dev/ida.  df mount and fdisk on the new dell  only
see /dev/sda*.  When I first looked at it I thought, "Crap.  they did
not set up the raid but the available space is about what I expected,
close to 70 GB. rebooting into the raid controller utility does indeed
show all 3 disks in one logical container.

What causes this difference, the  perc controller, Dells setup, redhat
8.0 or what?

Dell also put a single 2.5 GB partition into a lvm vg and I have freed
up a 12 GB partition that was mounted on /home.  There will be no users
storing stuff on this machine in home dirs since this is a samba
file/app server I left home in the 1GB / dir.

I should be able to simply create the pv for the partition and add it to
the volume group and then extend the logical volume in lvm, no?

Surfing Dell's site has yet to reveal meaningful information but I am
still looking and thought that I would ask the list for help as I
continue to plow through Dell's documentation.

Any tips/info is appreciated as always.

Bret