On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Burke, Thomas G. wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
>       I've got everything up & running, but there seems to be a small
> hitch.
>
>       RP-PPPoE works fine if I use the TK interface for it (tkpppoe), but
> if I try to run it from the command line (adsl-start), it just gives
> me a time out message.  This is also the case on a machine reboot
> (I've added the adsl script to init.d & rc3.d).
>
>       Anyone had this problem before?  Any clues?

Check your pppoe.conf. There is the following line describing the timeout:

# How long adsl-start waits for a new PPP interface to appear before
# concluding something went wrong.  If you use 0, then adsl-start
# exits immediately with a successful status and does not wait for the
# link to come up.  Time is in seconds.
#
# WARNING WARNING WARNING:
#
# If you are using rp-pppoe on a physically-inaccessible host, set
# CONNECT_TIMEOUT to 0.  This makes SURE that the machine keeps trying
# to connect forever after adsl-start is called.  Otherwise, it will
# give out after CONNECT_TIMEOUT seconds and will not attempt to
# connect again, making it impossible to reach.
CONNECT_TIMEOUT=0

Stephen