Thanks a lot for your sensible answer.  Unfortunately I can't disconnect
it right now because my brother is playing Dark Age of Camelot.  Instead
I opened two ssh sessions and typed:

   # tcpdump -i eth0 > /var/tmp/tcpdump

I then killed tcpdump and ran:

   # grep -v [regex*] /var/tmp/tcpdump | grep -v 'arp'

* = matches IPs of DAoC servers

This produced no output.  This establishes a baseline for what is going
through eth0 (ext ifc) on the router -- just DAoC stuff and arp chatter
on the cable segment.

Then I restarted the tcpdump log, and from a machine on the LAN, I
telnetted somewhere.  The telnet session showed up in the output of
tcpdump.

Then I tried telnetting from the ssh session on the router itself.  This
produced NO output from tcpdump. :o(

Now to make sure it's not the firewall.  Telnetting from the router
should involve only the OUTPUT and INPUT chains, right?  I typed the
following:

   # iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
   # iptables -F INPUT
   # iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
   # iptables -F OUTPUT

...and repeated the above test, starting tcpdump logging in one ssh
session and telnet in the other.  Again, NO telnet output from tcpdump!

I am inexperienced with RedHat, having always used Mandrake, and no guru
with Linux by any means.  Could there be some other firewall in effect
besides iptables?  Should I check my hosts.{allow,deny}?  Do you need to
be in a certain group to access the network?  I can't even telnet out as
root.

Big "WTF" here...

Krum