From:   J.R Ong [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Friday, February 14, 2003 5:56 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        HELP: Recompiling kernel (RH 8.0)

I am trying to recompile my kernel to add some SCSI module support. I am using
Red Hat 8.0 with the default kernel of 2.4.18-14.

The kernel compiled OK, however the Red Hat instructions say that a directory
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14custom should have been created but this was not the
case. However, grub.conf was as follows:

default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14custom)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14custom ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14custom.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img

When I tried to reboot the machine and use the new kernel, I got a kernel
panic during bootup:

ds: no socket drivers loaded!
VFS: cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or 00:00
Please append a correct "root=" boot option.
Kernel Panic: UFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong here?
Here is my /etc/fstab file:
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro
0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

Any help appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance,
Jin

--