>I want to offer my web customers the ability to point
>their domains to their web pages on my server.  They
>currently access their pages using the standard
>
>http://my.domain.com/~username
>
>format.  I want them to keep this format for their
>address, but, also be able to point
>
>http://www.their.domain.com
>
>to the above referenced page.
>
>I have configured virtual servers before.  Is the answer
>a virtual server pointed at the user's "www" directory? or
>is there a better way to do this?

This is exactly what you have to do. You can also add aliases inside the
<VirtualHost> directive so that http://their.domain.com and variants is/are
also valid.

>Question #2
>
>Has anyone tried the "no IP" virtual servers offered in
>apache 1.3x ?  How well does it work?  Is this using a
>browser feature to do this, or is it purely a server feature?

You have to use the NameVirtualHost or somesuch directive. I tried a while
back and it was a bit buggy, so I went back to 1.2.5. I have heard that it
works much better these days (if only because there is now documentation
that explains the setup). It works around old browsers (that is, browsers
that send only the IP address sans host name) to the server. No browser
tricks required.

If it absolutely, positively has to work, then you must acquire a separate
IP address for each domain.

DL