Do the following thing in your /usr/src/linux directory:

* make mrproper               //for a clean kernel config
* make config
     select pentium as your proccesor type.
* make menuconfig
     look at your proccesor type, it should be pentium.
     close menuconfig AND SAVE your new config WITHOUT changing anything
* make menuconfig  again ! Now the proccesor type is 386 and NOT
pentium.

Make menuconfig seems to fail on parsing the config file correct.

Is it me or is this a known "feature" ?

This feature made me recompile the kernel 10 times on a 386 before I
noticed :-)

Bye,
Wim Raets