On 21 Feb 2003, Stephen Kuhn wrote:

> Ok...so that's grub - what about lilo?

Well, since lilo is text based, the best you can do is ascii-art. You use
the "message=" directive. See 'man lilo.conf' for details.  I never tried
the ANSI escape sequences, but it may be worth a try depending on which
VGA mode you boot into. The lilo prompt comes AFTER the message file is
displayed, so you are limited to 24 lines.  I used to display an ascii art
file of a road leading into a sunset over mountains.  It wasn't great, but
better than a bare "lilo:" prompt.  (BTW, using the message file is how
Red Hat puts their boot messages on the screen when you install Red
Hat. So, given that, I guess that ANSI escape sequences are
supported. Perhaps look at the lilo.conf on the install boot diskette
for an example.)

Mark