On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 17:05, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got a very weird problem with a RedHat-server. Occasionally (can't
> even say that its under "high load" or something like that) the
> system freezes / hangs. It's possible to ping the machine (responds
> normal) and you can even connect to ports like pop3 (110) which were
> open before. The connection is established but no service responds.
> The same for mail in general, ssh, http etc. Nothing! Even console
> doesn't work anymore until reboot.
>
> The PC consists of a ASUS-P4B533-V-board with 2 Maxtor-HDDs and a cd-
> drive. Machine is running regular redhat 8.0 (kernel etc.), with all
> RHN-updates applied, running latest apache 1.3.xx ...
>
> It's a server in a serverhousing-farm and it's there for production
> use. So I can't simply take it off for a few days to play around with
> it.
>
> Had the same problems with another server, different board, running
> RedHat 7.3 with all updates applied. After looking for every possible
> problem-solution I thought maybe it's a hardware defect. So I changed
> from Athlon-cpu to a Intel P4 with different board, also installed
> RedHat 8.0 (instead of 7.3) new from scratch. But problem still
> exists.
>
> Only common thing: Both computers using same Maxtor-harddisks. But
> could this be the problem? Unfortunately (as described above) I can't
> simply take the computer down, change harddisks etc. ... not
> possible.
>
> Did anybody experience such problem?
>
> PS: After the last freeze / hang on the console was printed:
>      "Spurious 8259A Interrupt: IRQ7"
> But I can't tell for sure if the message was there before the crash
> because I mainly work from remote.
>

> Hope to hear from you URGENTLY. Yours faithfully,
>  Stefan Neufeind

Firstly I have no solution, only anecdotal advice...

I had a similar problem on an older computer, the hard drives would lock
up ( although the kernel was still running it couldnt load from disk ).
And it totally confounded me until I remembered my system Bus was over
clocked. I turned it down and the problems stopped.

I replaced that box with an Athlon 1700 on Gigabyte KT400 board, adn I
get the same spurious interrupt ( on boot ) as you, but I have had zero
problems with my new machine.

My guess is that the problem is with the Hard drives or the HD
contoller. You should concentrate there.

Good luck,
Ryan