Dear Cliff,

two weaks ago I tried the same thing with an Acer notebook.
Unfortunatelly I had no time to rewrite my results into this mailing
list. But, I'll do as soon as I have 2 seconds left... :-)

You need a kernel from kernel.org since the patch from sourceforge will
not work with pre-patched redhad-kernels.
Go to http://www.kernel.org and get the kernel 2.4.20. It's the latest
stable one.

Then get the acpi-patch from sourceforge for the kernel 2.4.20. Be
patient, the versions must be matching! For infos how to patch a kernel
see man patch.

You will need to recompile your kernel. You know how to do it? If not,
tell us and we will help you. In the configuratoin menu, disable apm and
therefore activate acpi. Recompile your kernel and.... yeah, your fan
powers down and your notebook runs cool!

Kind regards,
Arthur