Hey Andrew,
 Acutualy the limit is 7 including the extended partition and your swap.

Example:
 your Raid setup "If your useing Hardware Raid" is probably something like
/dev/rd/c0d0p1  - p7

The rd is for Raid device of course.
The c is for controler
the d is for drive (not physical drive but combined array set up as a drive)
and the p is for partition number

If you take a look in /dev/rd and do a "ls"
you will see that there are pervisions for only 7 partitions per raid drive

C-ya
Brent Canipe