Gene Yoo said:
> General question about what is necessary for backup in linux environment:
>
> Minux the /home directory, what does the community feels is the most
> peritnent information that must be backed up on linux box.  Assuming  that
> DNS, Apache, DHCP, Samba, SMTP, POP, firewall, etc...  meaning if  the
> system was a full service machine or even across multiple machine,  what
> do you backup?

I usually backup /var /etc /home /usr/local /usr/src and /root
sometimes more, sometimes less, depends on the purpose of the system.

my primary backup uses rsync, my homebrew rsync script is available
here:
http://portal.aphroland.org/resources/rsync/rsync-script.tar

for longer term I use BRU(not freeware), and I use regular BRU
not BRU Pro(which I do NOT trust). I have another script which
manages my BRU stuff. I tried setting up amanda a year or 2 ago
but was not successful(forget what the problem was). BRU has
a lot of error checking and correcting code and it has NEVER
ever failed me(BRU Pro was a nightmare by contrast). I think
I use BRU 16(really old version).

for databases like ldap and mysql I setup scripts to dump the databases
to text files and bzip them so they can be archived onto tape as well.

my tape drive is a kickass exabyte mammoth external scsi drive,
really beautiful drive. At my last job we used DLT4000 and DLT8000s
for backing up.

nate