> so I try to launch xbru and it tells me:
>
> Unable to find/exec bru executable - ABORTING

This is symptomatic of a problem with the underlying bru executable, not
so much a problem with xbru, and the bru executable does (should) exist, but
it can't execute it for some reason.

My first thought on this one when I encountered it is that it couldn't
find 'bru' which is not the case.

Try 'bru' by itself first.

Also check the archives. There's a strange bug with bru that manifested
itself only recently, when most of the US went to Daylight Savings Time.

The fix is to 'export TZ=PDT' (or TZ=MDT, CDT, or whatever) before you
run bru. Normally TZ is set to PST8PDT or whatever, depending on your
timezone. This fixes bru but not very nicely, since the time now is
set to GMT.