On 8 Apr 1998, Eze Ogwuma wrote:

> > for setting up the 'md' device. So anything installed off the CDROM should
> > go onto the "boot" (non-md) partition.
>
> This isn't good. The whole point of using RAID-0 was to get faster
> transfers from the /usr, /var, /opt and /usr/src partitions. If I can't
> do that and also upgrade striping looses its value (unless I do a

Once the partitions are set up, the upgrade script shouldn't care what
they are.  Here's what I'd do.  Install normally onto a non-RAID system.
I don't recommend upgrading between major revisions; it's supposed to
work, but somehow, it never does.  If you insist, it should work, but
you'll experience all the usual upgrade problems.  I don't see why you
CAN'T just preserve /usr/local and /home (which should be on separate
partitions anyway) and do a fresh install.

Once you've installed onto the non-RAID setup (by install or by upgrade),
then just copy /usr and friends onto the RAID drive using a
permissions-safe method (tar, cpio, cp -a, something).  RPM will never
know the difference. :)  It's more difficult than a plain install/upgrade
but not impossible.