bulent acikgoz wrote:
> Hi friends,
> I use RH8.
> I want to change PATH order. My PATH like this,
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /]# echo $PATH
> /usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:
> /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin:/usr/bin/make:
> /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /]#
>
> I want to change /usr/bin before /usr/local/bin

The command you need is:

export PATH=/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:...

- which I am sure you already know. I can see from your mail, that you
have '/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin' at the end of the PATH string. The reason
this doesn't work is that '/usr/local/bin' is already mentioned before
'/usr/bin' earlier in the PATH string.

You need to find the place(s) where PATH is set/modified, and this is a
bit trickier. According to the man page, bash will run /etc/profile when
you log in. This script will then source all scripts in /etc/profile.d
if there are any - this is the case on RH8 at least. So, before your own
.profile or .bashrc or whatever gets run, the PATH has probably already
been set to something. On my machine it happens in /etc/profile, but
just to make sure, have a look in /etc/profile.d too.

/jan