Stefan Neufeind wrote:
On 27 Feb 2003 at 10:13, Jan wrote:

anil garrepally wrote:

I fallowed suggestions of "list" to recover deleted files using debugfs and 'mc' tool,but those are working for ext2 file system
only. And in info pages i read this statement:"Recovery of deleted
files is only available on ext2 file systems". Is it not possible to
recover ext3fs ? is there any chance still left?

Otherwise i will forget this topic as 'nate' suggested.

ext3 is just ext2 with a journaling feature. You should be able to simply use an ext3 filesystem as if it were an ext2; as far as I know it is even possible to mount an ext3 disk as ext2, if you don't want the journaling.

But you don't take advantage of the journal-information. Maybe that's what he was thinking of? I don't know if there are any commercial tools out there that can do this. From memory I can only tell there are tools from e.g. Ontrack that restore from ext2 - but haven't heard about tools using the "extended features" of ext3. Well it should be possible to use ext2-tools anyway as a first step - as Jan proposed.

This should only be a minor hurdle - if you can recover the files from ext2, you can always recreate the journal afterwards (though I'm not sure how, exactly).

/jan