This bit...a post feeling the ground of experiences; I've bought (rather
cheaply ;) a tektronix fixed-scan monitor. There's a couple of ways of
driving these things...or so I'm led to believe.

1> Build your own sync_on_green generator (just gates the h/v-sync onto
the green line), and try and fabricate something in one's XF86Config line
that's gunna work with 64.5khz fixed-scanrate, 60Hz refresh, at some
resolution to take advantage of the 20" Sony trinitron 'tube in it. So
far, I've been able to manage several distinctly different versions of
eletronic snowstorms :)

  Anyone had any luck, disappointment, or any such experience with this?

2> The other way to go, is to actually buy a videocard to drive it. The
choices here are slim;

    Mirage z128

    Photon 3D-M64

Mirage actually claim to have support (or be supportive?) of linux,
whereas none such is mentioned at Photon's spec's page. I find no text
(ahem...'official') indicating that EITHER of these are supported under X
and therefore, I too well know 'linux support' might equate to generic vga
compatibility or something just as ridiculous, although in fairness, the
cards in question are capable of much more than this.

 Anyone *actually* know of, or seen working, or can prove the point that
these cards work under redhat/linux/X?

I recognize that this is pretty much more X specific, but I emailed them
and still await reply...same goes for my queries regarding the cl5464
oddities. This was a couple of months ago now indeed. I hope the spectre
of the next X release perhaps loosing the free bit hasn't already impacted
on their tech_support response. (again, in all fairness, their motd says
anywhere between 15minutes and 15years for response...) So I thought I'd
just touch base here, for any real life experience.

  The mouse locking up thing continues. I've update netscape to the 4.05
latest, blindly hopeful and lying to myself it would make a difference,
which it didn't of course. I rebuilt /dev as I suggested I might try, but
it, the problem, remains. We're just coming out of our hotter months here
now, and I normally run 2 fans to cool the drives and draft the case on
those hot, 35deg.+ C days. I've just disconnected one, and I think perhaps
the problem is a little worse. (no..voltage rails didn't move, I checked
;) I'll chase this later in earnest with some coldspray, because if I was
to think of equating a laptop in this, then heat related failure is
definately possible.

 The agonizing irony of this though, is the fact the rest of the thing
performs faultlessly..notwithstanding the fact it is a cyrix and running
2.1.90. (I have dropped back to stable releases to check this, don't
worry,..I went to devel releases looking for the same answer :) It works
so well, it's not worth foregoing just because of a menacing rodent
trouble. So it looks like the sketch of the electronic mouse walker is
gunna hit the breadboard after all (^:

Cheers!

Db